Tooele 912ers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tooele 912ers

Based on the 9-12 Project presented by Glenn Beck, this is a community of people from the Tooele, UT area gathering to discuss issues about the country, share ideas, and unite in the basic principles listed at www.the912project.com

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tooele Stimulus money?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
hughgo

Tooele Stimulus money? Empty
PostSubject: Tooele Stimulus money?   Tooele Stimulus money? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 1:36 pm

I was trying to see where people stand on the stimulus money that tooele has been allocated. I read in the paper that one of the shovel ready projects is proposed here in Tooele to extend a road.
I feel most of you didn't agree with the Federal Stimulus package, but I could be wrong. However, whether against it or for it what is everyones opinion on Tooele accepting the money.

My personal opinion is not to use it or accept it. Yes, the road may be a good assett to the community and it may be something the city has been wanting to do for a while, but if I want to buy something that would be a good asset to my house I need to save up for it, or go into debt becoming a slave to the debtor.
Now some may say well if they are giving the money out anyway, why not spend it? And it isn't really a loan. I say it is about principles and if everyone takes their little amount of money from the stimulus it is encouraging this behavior of the federal government to print money (that doesn't exist) that will continue to destroy our dollar.

"But it is not a loan": The money going to these executives, banks, etc. aren't loans either, however the gov. has put in place stipulations on these companies to control bonuses, cap in pay, and other things that have to be regulated.

Do you feel they will start regulating towns, and States that also take the Federal handouts?

I would like to hear comments from everyone and what opinions others may have that you talk to about this issue.

Thanks
Brian
Back to top Go down
Alouette98
Admin
Alouette98

PostSubject: Hard to change thinking   Tooele Stimulus money? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 10:21 pm

Stimulus money is always a touchy subject. I have had a hard time changing my thinking when it comes to "free" government money. We took advantage of the "free" $40 coupon for the digital tv converter box with the thinking..."Hey! Free money!" Kinda like a manufacturer coupon. We rationalized using it, saying "Well, if they're gonna give it out we better use it or they'll just go spend it on something else." Yet, if everyone takes just that little bit out of the pot, then that is that much more money the government has to print, increasing our debts and only adding to the problem. Same thing with the stimulus check that came last year. Yeah, we used/saved it, but where did that money come from? And what did it really accomplish? Look at the mess we're in. Time to start taking personal responsibility and saying NO to their "free" money! It'll cost us all in the long run.

As for Tooele using the stimulus money, it would be easy to rationalize how wonderful it would be to have the 1000 N road project completed, but why can't we save up for it OURSELVES instead of using that Monopoly money they're handing out? We've lived for how many years without that road? I think it could wait a little longer till the money was there for it. But I of all people (one the most money-tight people you'll ever encounter) understand how hard it would be to hand it back and say no thanks. *sigh* Money really is the root of all evil.
Back to top Go down
sarah

PostSubject: Re: Tooele Stimulus money?   Tooele Stimulus money? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 2:08 pm

I totally agree with what both of you have said. I think that when we take money from the government, we are giving them power over us.
We don't want handouts, we want lower taxes. Our country should be run on a state and local level and the government should keep its nose out of our business. If we want a road to be finished, we can take responsibility and save the money ourselves. That's the way it was ment to be.
Back to top Go down
Nathan

PostSubject: Tooele bailout   Tooele Stimulus money? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 10:20 pm

I sent the following email to Mayor Dunlavy on the day I read his article.

Mayor Dunlavy,

I just received the current Tooele newsletter. I cannot at this time express to you the extent of my disappointment to see that Tooele is accepting federal stimulus money and to see how proud you are for attaining it. I am a little confused as to why a project like this would not have been started with sufficient money budgeted to complete it. It may seem in the big picture that $3.5 million is insignificant compared to the trillions that is being dealt out by the government but every penny adds up. My children will be responsible for the repayment of this debt combined with every other handout under this “stimulus package”. I find it morally reprehensible and grossly irresponsible to jump on the band wagon and stick your hand out. I expect more from my elected officials.

I will also be sharing my disgust for this matter with Rep. Jim Gowans without whose help this would not have been possible. Please share my sentiments with the rest of the members on your staff who worked so hard to get this money.

Respectfully,

Nathan Staska

The thing that bothers me the most about it was how proud he was for getting it and how much work it took to get it. We just moved here in December and love it, feels like home, but I'm trying to get a handle on the local politics. Any background would be helpful if anyone feels so inclined.
Thanks,
Nathan
Back to top Go down
Alouette98
Admin
Alouette98

PostSubject: Wow!   Tooele Stimulus money? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 10:28 pm

Wow, I share your thoughts exactly. I hadn't thought to send him a letter. Duh. What is his mailing address, or did you just email it? Post Jim Gowans' info as well. I would like to send something to him as well.

I first learned about that money in the newsletter too. Evil or Very Mad Definitely wasn't happy.

As for local politics, I'm not much help. I haven't been all that involved until now. It seems to me that whatever names sounds familiar, that's the one people vote for. Gowans is a prime example. How else does a Democratic candidate get re-elected year after year? I personally called him once to ask some questions which he seemed more than happy to answer, so please don't hesitate to do so. I also understand that he really supports education, so teachers are big fans. Good luck with our local politics. Share whatever else you may find.
Back to top Go down
Nathan

PostSubject: Tooele bailout contacts   Tooele Stimulus money? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 10:41 pm

Mayor Patrick Dunlavy
Tooele City Hall
90 North Main
Tooele, Utah 84074
(435) 843-2104
patrickd@TooeleCity.org Term expires: 2010

Link to James Gowans bio and contact info. Wow, he's been in since '93. Might be time for a new face?

http://www.le.state.ut.us/house/members2005/bios2005.asp?id=21
Back to top Go down
hughgo

PostSubject: Local Politics   Tooele Stimulus money? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 11:06 pm

I think when it comes down to it we as people are not willing to do our own homework on issues we just assume the information will get to us. For example we have a Glenn Beck or a Rush Limbaugh who have great money and resources to go find out a lot of information that we would not get otherwise. This information, however, is on National and International topics and I am glad we have them. But do we do our own homework in addition to what they say? I would say problably not.
That is why many people problably are not involved of what is going on in our own little town because there isn't that radio personality telling them what is going on. I have taken my scout troop to city council meetings and the majority of the time there is very few people there. I guess it also comes down to the mentality of "I don't agree with the stimulus package, but a nice road would be nice for the city." Most of us including me need to reset our thinking on these kind of things, and hold our local officials accountable more so then congress, and let our voice be heard in our community.

By the way, it was good to see familiar faces from the TEA Party at the Rob Bishop town hall meeting.
Back to top Go down
jdjessop2000

PostSubject: Tooele Stimulus Money   Tooele Stimulus money? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 9:54 am

All I have to say is a quote by Thomas Jefferson "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take away everything you have"

I for one will not be bought and I do not support the trampling of "States Rights" that this stimulus package represents.

Governor Huntsman needs to be held accountable in the next election for accepting this money from Washington.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tooele Stimulus money?   Tooele Stimulus money? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tooele Stimulus money?
Page 1 of 1